04 Feb worry you’ve outgrown social media?
The wonderful thing about social media is that it is ageless; anybody can use it. But do you ever worry that you’re starting to outgrow social media?
A whopping 42% of the world population (that’s about 3.2 billion people) use social media. Whether it’s to keep in touch with family and friends, advertise a business or keep in touch with local events/groups, we spend (on average) 145 minutes a day scrolling!
If you’ve found yourself starting to think that perhaps your time on social media is coming to an end, think again!
- 86% of people aged 18-29 use Facebook
- 77% of people aged 30-49 use Facebook
- 51% of people aged 50-65 use Facebook
- 34% of people that are 65+ years old use Facebook
- 67% of people aged 18-29 use Instagram
- 47% of people aged 30-49 use Instagram
- 23% of people aged 50-64 use Instagram
- 8% of people that are 65+ years old use Instagram
- 38% of people aged 18-29 use Twitter
- 26% of people aged 30-49 use Twitter
- 17% of people aged 50-64 use Twitter
- 7% of people that are 65+ years old use Twitter
- 21% of people aged 18-24 use LinkedIn
- 60% of people aged 25-34 use LinkedIn
- 17% of people aged 35-54 use LinkedIn
- 3% of people that are 55+ years old use LinkedIn
What these stats highlight is that each platform attracts a variety of age groups. This means it is imperative to build this into your marketing strategy to ensure that you are targeting as much of your audience as you can. Don’t discount a certain age group because you think they don’t use social media. As the figures above show, this is definitely not the case!
If you’re finding it a little tricky to work out how to target different age groups as part of your marketing strategy, I’d love to help. We offer a range of strategy services which can help you to get on track and maximise your marketing efforts – find out more here.