28 Apr How to improve your conversion rates by 97.2%
Did you know the average conversion rate for ecommerce websites is just 2.8%? That’s a whopping 97.2% improvement that could be made! And we want to help.
Side note; this doesn’t just apply to product based businesses. If you are a service based business, with a landing page, this newsletter will help you too…
We’re not suggesting that these changes will make improvements overnight, and some will take more planning than others, but here’s a quick fire list of ways you could improve your conversion rates.
1. Add social proof – from positive reviews to (influencer) endorsements, case studies and hard data, it all helps to gain the trust of new customers
2. Insert a page pop up – we’re all natural skim readers, so get people’s attention quickly through a pop up
3. Set up A/B testing – with email marketing, run split tests to see what design changes affects the open rates of your emails – you may be pleasantly surprised!
4. Make it urgent – it’s an old trick, but it works – make an offer limited; it creates urgency and encourages people to react quickly
5. Include videos – according to Wyzowl’s Video Marketing Statistics 2022, video has helped a whopping 87% of marketers to increase traffic
6. Add product snippets – adding rich code snippets can help your products show up in the shopping section of Google. When your product is shown as the featured snippet, traffic could increase by 20-30%.
7. Create a FAQ page – it’s normal for people to have questions, so if you can answer them upfront, without them having to get in touch and wait for a response, it will encourage a quicker conversion
8. Build specific landing pages – this works particularly well when running paid ads – you can set up several landing pages and test which are comverting best to identify what information people want to see when they click on the ad
9. Show people that you’re trustworthy – this can be achieved in so many ways; reviews, trust badges, product guarantees, contact information, SSL certificate, about us pages etc
10. Simplify the main navigation – make it clear and straightforward and follow the rule that simpler is better
11. Offer coupons or discounts – we all love a deal!
12. Give people free shipping – test what works for your business. If you currently charge for shipping, test offering free shipping and see if your conversions improve
13. Expand payment methods – the more options you can offer the better to ensure that you don’t lose someone because you don’t appease to their preferred payment method
14. Offer live chat – check out these stats…
- Live chat leads to 48% increase in revenue per chat hour and a 40% increase in conversion rate (Forrester)
- 79% of businesses said that implementing live chat resulted in increased customer loyalty, sales and revenue (Kayako)
- 38% of consumers are more likely to buy if a company offers live chat support (Crazy Egg)
- Website visitors that engage via live chat are worth 4.5 times more than visitors that don’t (ICMI)
15. Recover abandoned carts – people can get distracted during the checkout process, so remind them what they’re missing out on with an abandoned cart email
16. Optimise products images and descriptions – images should be clear, high quality and descriptions need to be thorough
17. Allow for guest checkouts – while asking people to create an account to purchase is beneficial for businesses, it can also stop them from buying because of the inconvenience
18. Understand the customer journey – identifying pitfalls in your customer journey is key to improving conversion rates
19. Optimise website speed – a small delay of even two seconds in page loads can increase bounce rates by over 100%. Furthermore, 40% of the people who didn’t enjoy their experience browsing a website will tell their friends or family! You can’t afford for this to be the reason your conversion rates decline!
This a lot of information, and some may not be relevant to your business, but it is important to do as much as you can to get your customers converting. Your time and efforts will pay off!